Only the best YA, MG, and Children's Fiction gain entry into the Lit Castle.....

I am Maiden Myth, just a humble servant of the Lit Castle in the Clouds, devouring literature as I anticipate moving up to Queen : )

Thursday, August 26, 2010

Audrey, Wait! by Robin Benway


Like I told you before: wildfire posts. I'm on a roll today, and I need to whip these out fast!

After the mind-boggling, wonderful, deep book that was Before I Fall, I have to say, it sucked the life right out of me. I was so consumed in this book, and it was so powerful, but, man, it gave me a headache and left me haunted at four in the morning. I needed something light. I needed something funny.

And Audrey, Wait! by Robin Benway all but fell into my lap, the perfect book for my Challenge.

Here's the synopsis:

When her ex writes a break-up song about her that rockets up the charts, Audrey is suddenly famous--she can't go out without being mobbed by fans and paparazzi. Readers can take a wild ride with Audrey as she makes headlines, confronts her ex on MTV, and shows the world who she really is.

I devoured this book like cotton candy at a carnival. Honestly, it was great! Audrey is a great character, full of sass and wit and spunk. It was easy to sympathize and suffer with her as she became a media sensation after her ex-boyfriend bares his soul about their break-up on a worldwide level. But, in the beginning of the novel, Audrey isn't really experiencing fame-more like infamy. She's seen as the enemy through the eyes of countless fangirls of her ex's band, as her ex-boyfriend, named Evan, warps her image into that of a terrible, cold-hearted person who broke his heart without looking back. But, after the scrutiny dissolves after some time, she starts becoming famous in a totally different way-now people herald her as a sort of celebrity. Audrey, however, is fighting all of these factors along the way-I mean, the poor girl can't even go on a date with the guy she likes without being hounded by the paparazzi!

The supporting characters were also good-Victoria was a great example of a loyal best friend, even though sometimes she got a little too excited over the freebies that Audrey was constantly getting from companies hoping to get a sales boost from her endorsement (she didn't accept most of them, of course). James was adorable, I just absolutely loved him, and he will probably be one of my literary crushes. He was so sweet and music-obsessed, just like Audrey.

One of the best things about this book, though, was the various music mentions in the book. Lyrics were inserted at the beginning of each chapter, and reading about bands, from the popular to the obscure, really enriched the experience of the novel for me. I wanted to cheer when I saw some of the artists I like, such as Regina Spektor and the Yeah Yeah Yeahs, referred to in the book.

Overall, this was a great book deserving of four stars. I can't wait to read Robin Benway's next book, called The Extraordinary Secrets of April, May, and June. It's more of a fantasy novel, which is my favorite genre, so I'll probably be snatching it up within the next week (after I promise myself that I'm not going to buy anymore books for a while. It never works out).

Until the next review,

Maiden Myth.

I took the synopsis from Border's website and the pic from Barnes and Nobles's website.

No comments:

Post a Comment