Only the best YA, MG, and Children's Fiction gain entry into the Lit Castle.....

I am Maiden Myth, just a humble servant of the Lit Castle in the Clouds, devouring literature as I anticipate moving up to Queen : )

Monday, August 23, 2010

Diary of a Wimpy Kid Book #4: Dog Days by Jeff Kinney



This is a blog for YA, MG, and Children's Fiction, but I've only written about YA up until now. To throw a bit of MG into the mix, I give you Diary of a Wimpy Kid. Now, I should start with the first book, but I need to read this book for the challenge. Long story. So:

*Warning: there might be a few spoilers*

It’s summer vacation, the weather’s great, and all the kids are having fun outside. So where’s Greg Heffley? Inside his house, playing video games with the shades drawn.

Greg, a self-confessed “indoor person,” is living out his ultimate summer fantasy: no responsibilities and no rules. But Greg’s mom has a different vision for an ideal summer . . . one packed with outdoor activities and “family togetherness.”

Whose vision will win out? Or will a new addition to the Heffley family change everything?

This is one of my guilty pleasures. I have read all of the other Diary of a Wimpy Kid books. It may not have depth, but Jeff Kinney is the master of humor. I love Greg, the "Wimpy Kid." He is lazy and self-absorbed, and those traits follow him into all of his hysterical whims. All that he wants is to either go to the country club to which his best friend's father belongs (and is soon kicked out) or hole up in his room and play video games, but his mother has different ideas in mind. Since money is running low in their household, his mom attempts to thrust her family into a perfect low-budget vacation, but, while most of her attempts fail to bring any entertainment to her family, they always succeed in ruining Greg's slothful summer.

The supporting characters are fabulous, including his best friend Rowley, who's sweet, naive, and generally clueless, and Fregley, who doesn't appear much in this book, but when he does, his comically weird personality leaves a lasting impression. This is a read that you can breeze on through, due to the light content, the notebook format of the book, and the comic strip-style illustrations on the pages. I love the illustrations, because they capture the feel of the book and whatever particular scene that they're depicting perfectly. I laughed out loud and quoted the book for anyone that would listen throughout my time reading this. Definitely read this book!

I give this book five stars, and this is my first official five-star post! Yay! : )

Until the next review,
Maiden Myth.

I got the picture from Wikipedia and the synopsis from Amazon.

No comments:

Post a Comment