Only the best YA, MG, and Children's Fiction gain entry into the Lit Castle.....

I am Maiden Myth, just a humble servant of the Lit Castle in the Clouds, devouring literature as I anticipate moving up to Queen : )

Sunday, September 26, 2010

My Top Five Books of 2011!



Hello Loyal Subjects of the Lit Castle in the Clouds!

This post is for a Contest Craze Mini Challenge, hosted by Princess bookie (http://www.princessbookie.com/). For this challenge, I am going to tell you about the five books that I'm anticipating the most for next year and why! Okay, here goes:


1. Fins are Forever by Tera Lynn Childs

*Warning: contains spoilers for those who have not read the first book, Forgive My Fins*

Synopsis:

"On Lily Sanderson’s eighteenth birthday she’ll become just a girl—still a mer girl, true, but signing the renunciation paperwork will ink Princess Waterlily of Thalassinia out of existence. That leaves plain old Lily living on land, dating the boy she loves, and trying to master this being human thing once and for all.

Now that Lily and Quince are together, mer-bond or not, she’s almost content to give up her place in the royal succession of Thalassinia. But just when she thinks she has everything figured out, Lily’s father sends a certain whirlpool-stirring cousin to stay with her on land. What did Doe do to get herself exiled from Thalassinia and stuck in terraped form, when everyone knows how much she hates humans? And why why why is she batting her eyelashes at Lily’s former crush, Brody?
The seafoam on the surf comes when a merboy from Lily’s past shows up. Tellin asks Lily for something that clouds her view of the horizon. There’s a future with Quince on land, her loyalty to the kingdom in the sea, and Lily tossing on the waves in the middle. Will she find a way to reconcile her love, her duty, and her dreams?"

Why I want to read this book: Because I loved its predecessor, Forgive My Fins. It sparkled with bubbly and enchanting prose, and I especially enjoyed Quince and Lily's relationship. I am especially excited to read about how their romance unfolds. Also, the idea of Tellin, one of Lily's old friends (I'm assuming friend?), stirs up the potential for a love triangle-and, what exactly does he request that she do? This is already on my Goodreads To-Read List, and I plan to get my hands on it as soon as possible.

2. A Tale of Two Pretties by Lisi Harrison (I couldn't find a cover)
(14th in the Clique series)
Synopsis: "Massie Block has long led the Pretty Committee--through boy drama, clique mutinies, and jealous wannabe attacks--while always in ah-dorable outfits. Over the past thirteen novels, avid fans of Massie, Alicia, Dylan, Kristin, and Claire, have made The Clique one of the premier bestselling series in the world. After the myriad of juicy escapades, the Clique is finally ready for their curtain call.

The Clique . . . the only thing harder than getting in is saying goodbye."

Why I want to read this book: Don't judge me people!!! I love the Clique. It's witty and sassy and funny...I teared up a bit when I heard that this was the last book. I first started reading this series when I was 12, so it's been with me for a while. I want to see how it ends, and get closure on the Pretty Committee's saga.


3: Desires of the Dead by Kimberly Derting

Synopsis:

"Violet can sense the echoes of those who've been murdered—and the matching imprint that clings to their killers. Only those closest to her know what she is capable of, but when she discovers the body of a young boy she also draws the attention of the FBI, threatening her entire way of life.

As Violet works to keep her morbid ability a secret, she unwittingly becomes the object of a dangerous obsession. Normally she'd turn to her best friend, Jay, except now that they are officially a couple, the rules of their relationship seem to have changed. And with Jay spending more and more time with his new friend Mike, Violet is left with too much time on her hands as she wonders where things went wrong. But when she fills the void by digging into Mike's tragic family history, she stumbles upon a dark truth that could put everyone in danger."

Why I want to read this book: I am reading The Body Finder (Desires of the Dead is its sequel) and I am loving it. Kimberly Derting deftly weaves a chilling suspense into her pages that has often left me very, very uncomfortable and paranoid when I turn out the lights at night. : ) The characters are also fabulous, and I love how she twists the classic best-friend-turned-boyfriend idea. I am so intoxicated by the premise of the next book that I want to grab an ARC (which I, unfortunately, do not possess) and tear through it. Plus, I just love Jay. : )


4. Forever by Maggie Stiefvater (3rd in the Wolves of Mercy Falls series)

I could not find a synopsis, even though I looked in several places. I think that there isn't an official one yet. Oh, well....

Why I want to read this book: I have read some of Shiver and I am enjoying it so much that I know Linger will not be far behind on my TBR list, and I will have to get my hands on Forever. I was never that into werewolves, but Maggie Stiefvater writes about werewolves that I WANT to read about, which is no easy feat in a world overrun with were tales.

5. Entice by Carrie Jones

Synopsis:

"Zara and Nick are soul mates, meant to be together forever. But that's not quite how things have worked out. For starters, well, Nick is dead. Supposedly, he's been taken to a mythic place for warriors known as Valhalla, so Zara and her friends might be able to get him back. But it's taking time, and meanwhile a group of evil pixies is devastating Bedford, with more teens going missing every day. An all-out war seems imminent, and the good guys need all the warriors they can find. But how to get to Valhalla? And even if Zara and her friends discover the way, there's that other small problem: Zara's been pixie kissed. When she finds Nick, will he even want to go with her? Especially since she hasn't turned into just any pixie. . . She's Astley's queen."

Why I want to read this book: I am starting Need right now (The first book in the series. I know, I know, I'm in the midst of too many novels! I'm addicted!) and, like the other books, I can't get enough of it. It's probably not good for me to be reading the synopsis of the latest book in the series, as it will spoil many of the secrets within the book, but I don't mind too much (that's a lie. I do. But I've seen it now, so, whatever). But those last three words in the synopsis just eats me alive! She's Astley's queen now??? I have to read this! It's going to be sooo good.

Now that I've shown you my Top 5, I'm wondering: what books are you looking forward to reading next year? What's burning up your pre-order list? I'd love to know.

Until the next post,

Maiden Myth.

Note: I did not write the synopses; they are the official ones from the author's websites, Goodreads or another reliable source. Thank you for reading. : )

No comments:

Post a Comment